“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” When Benjamin Franklin said that in the 1730s he was talking about fire safety. But like all great quotes, it applies to many more aspects of life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some essential guidelines are highlighted here.
- Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush.
- Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
- Wear a protective mouthguard when participating in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged.
- Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
- Skip piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a dangerous fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
- Refrain from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
- Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
At Allen Park Dental, helping our patients establish good habits is important. So is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening and complete smile makeovers. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact Szalai & Szalai DDS – Allen Park Dental Care:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):