In this blog post from Allen Park Dental Care, we share some fun facts about dentistry. Enjoy!
- Many dental patients are aware that before there was formal dental training and licensing, barbers often performed dental procedures. But did you know that blacksmiths also moonlighted as dentists?1 How would you like your dental visit to involve tools used to hammer hot metal?
- The Mayans were accomplished cosmetic dentists. One smile style in Mayan culture was bejeweled teeth – a procedure that involved the drilling of holes to embed precious gems. That’s a grill with major bling! 1
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough to fill up two swimming pools.2 (Not a very pleasant image, right?)
- Nylon toothbrush bristles weren’t introduced until 1938. Prior to that, pig hair was a common bristle material.3 (“Mom, my toothbrush smells like bacon!”)
- A popular toothache treatment in medieval Germany was to kiss a donkey.3 There is no evidence that it actually worked and it is unknown if the same remedy was used by donkeys.
- Every person’s tongue is unique – just like a fingerprint.4
- In medieval Japan, black teeth were considered appealing. Style-conscious women used roots to stain their teeth.3
At Allen Park Dental Care, you won’t find pig hair, donkeys, or anvils. You will find premium dental care and our caring and professional team of dental professionals. We offer complete family dentistry services. People from Dearborn, Taylor, and Southgate also come to our office for cosmetic dentistry. Schedule your next checkup today!
Contact Szalai & Szalai DDS – Allen Park Dental Care:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):