Unfortunately, gingivitis (early gum disease) is very common. But it is treatable at Allen Park Dental, and even preventable.
Here’s some simple ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
1. Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gumline. Brush away the fragments of food Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough. Take care you do not brush your gums too aggressively.
2. Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. Don’t like to floss? Try a floss holder, which makes it far less complicated to insert floss between teeth. But get over your aversion to flossing, unless you want cavities or gum disease.
3. Although not a substitute for brushing and flossing, using a mouth rinse can prevent plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. Mouthwashes have alcohol and are designed to freshen breath. (But they can worsen dry mouth which can cause other problems.)
4. Eat a healthy diet. Starchy and sugary foods increase plaque. A nutritious diet provides the nutrients required (Vitamins A and C, in particular) to keep teeth and gums healthy.
5. Abstain from cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may result in periodontitis (advanced gum disease) or oral cancer. While you’re at it, avoid E-cigarettes.
6. Be aware that certain medications can also threaten a healthy smile. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines.
7. Exercise preventive care and schedule regular examinations — the best way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
8. Talk to us about dental issues such as old, broken fillings or crowded teeth.
9. If you grind your teeth, talk to us about ways to guard your teeth.
At Allen Park Dental Care, your dental health is always our top priority. We offer gum disease treatment, and a full range of family dentistry services. Call today!
Contact Szalai & Szalai DDS – Allen Park Dental Care:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
5329 Allen Rd
Allen Park, Michigan