Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so widespread in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the American Dental Association. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated at Allen Park Dental Care.
Here are five critical things to know about periodontal disease:
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is essential to see your dentist regularly. Help is right here: we treat periodontal disease at Allen Park Dental Care. We also offer family dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact Szalai & Szalai DDS – Allen Park Dental Care:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):