How are Americans doing when it comes to the dental health of those who are sixty-five and over? Well, at Allen Park Dental Care we’ve got some good news and bad news.
The Good News:
- Tooth decay rates in older Americans has decreased in the past thirty years.
The Bad News:
- 25% of people over sixty-five have no remaining teeth
- Nearly 20% have untreated cavities
- 10% of adults 65 and over have moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- There is evidence to suggest that advanced gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and respiratory disease
- Most older Americans don’t have dental insurance
Clearly, there is room for improvement. What elements will improve the oral health of older Americans? The National Institutes of Health cite three components:
- Improved oral health education for the elderly
- Seniors practicing effective daily oral hygiene
- Increased access to dental care
At Allen Park Dental Care, we are committed to providing our patients from Dearborn, Taylor, Southgate, and throughout the metro area with comprehensive oral health education and care. Services include complete family and restorative dentistry. Please call our office to schedule an appointment today!
Contact Szalai & Szalai DDS – Allen Park Dental Care:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):